Why Do Yoga?
What is Yoga?
Yoga is the overall generic term given to the physical, mental, and spiritual disciplines that originated in Ancient India. The ultimate goal of yoga is to attain a state of permanent peace. A classic definition of yoga is "the stilling of the changing states of the mind." Yoga plays a key role in many religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism. As part of Hinduism, yoga is one of the six orthodox schools of Hindu philosophy.
Benefits of Yoga
The list of health benefits that stem from partaking in yoga consistently include:
- Increase and improves the quality of muscle stregnth and tone
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases overall energy levels
- Improves posture
- Improves overall athletic ability
- Increases stamina and endurance
- Reduces stress levels
- Increases metabolism
- Burns fat
- Expells toxins from the body via sweating
- Improves sleep quality
- Reduces tension levels
- Reduces inflammation and joint pain
- Improves mental clarity and in turn increases mental concentration and short term memory
- Improves balance
- Increases flexibility