Why Are Bananas Good For You?
Bananas Are Loaded With Potassium
The main benefit of bananas is all the potassium that they are loaded with. Potassium is an essential mineral, meaning it is a necessary nutrient for human life and health that benefits your heart, kidneys, and other vital organs. Potassium also stimulates your muscles, brain and nerve cells, and can also help reduce high blood pressure and reduce the risk of a stroke. The average adult, ages 18 and up, should consume at least 4.7 grams of potassium a day. The average banana contains roughly 422 milligrams of potassium, so about 1/10th of an adult’s daily requirement. While eating one or two bananas won’t fulfill your full daily requirement, they are an important part of your diet as it is easy to lack potassium if you eat a diet full of processed foods. Side effects of a potassium deficit, called hypokalemia, include muscle weakness, cramping, fatigue, confusion, and potentially heart failure. Other healthy foods to help you achieve your daily requirement of potassium are potatoes, spinach, baked beans, raisins, orange juice, and tuna.
Bananas are Great For Your Heart
The high potassium and low sodium levels found in bananas make them a great choice for a heart-healthy food. Bananas can reduce your blood pressure and in turn reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke especially when you include bananas in a low-fat, well-balanced diet.
Bananas Can Help You Lose Weight
The fiber and starch in bananas increase your fat metabolism and can curb your appetite. Your body cannot properly process the starch found in bananas and in turn you feel full temporarily but this does not last permanently as your body can get rid of this resistant starch. Fiber makes you feel full faster and longer as well as improves internal digestion. All of these characteristics make bananas a great option for people trying to lose weight.
Bananas Are a Source of Fuel
The combination of fiber, carbohydrates, simple sugars, and starches found in bananas can provide a sustained amount of energy boost to keep you mentally alert and help you effectively perform various forms of physical activity.
Health Benefits of Bananas
- Anemia: bananas are high in iron and in turn stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood to help combat anemia.
- Constipation: the high level of fiber in bananas helps with internal digestion as they can restore normal bowel function.
- Heartburn: bananas are a natural antacid and can provide soothing relief for heartburn.
- Morning Sickness: snacking on bananas between meals can help keep a woman’s blood sugar levels up and help reduce the intensity of morning sickness.
- Smoking: The B6 and B12 Vitamins, as well as the potassium and magnesium, found in bananas can help your body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawals.